[Daily Trust] The United States today formally declared leader of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati Wal-Jihad, (commonly referred to as Boko Haram), Abubakar Shekau, alongside two of his lieutenants as Specially Designated Global Terrorists.
According to a statement issued by the US Department of State, “Abubakar Shekau, Abubakar Adam Kambar, and Khalid al-Barnawi where Specially Designated Global Terrorists under section 1(b) of Executive Order 13224. Shekau is the most visible leader of the Nigeria-based militant group Jama’atu Ahlis Sunna Lidda’awati Wal-Jihad, commonly referred to as Boko Haram. Khalid al-Barnawi and Abubakar Adam Kambar have ties to Boko Haram and have close links to al-Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb, a designated Foreign Terrorist Organization.”
The statement also said “the designation under E.O. 13224 blocks all of Shekau’s, Kambar’s and al-Barnawi’s property interests subject to U.S. jurisdiction and prohibits U.S. persons from engaging in transactions with or for the benefit of these individuals. These designations demonstrate the United States’ resolve in diminishing the capacity of Boko Haram to execute violent attacks. The Department of State took these actions in consultation with the Departments of Justice and Treasury.”
- US Puts 3 Boko Haram Members on Terrorist List (voanews.com)
- US declares Abubakar Shekau, 2 others terrorists (vanguardngr.com)
- US adds 3 Boko Haram leaders to list of global terrorists (longwarjournal.org)
- Northern leaders have case to answer on Boko Haram – Iwuanyanwu (vanguardngr.com)
- Boko Haram Promises Bloodier Days; Threatens More Attacks On Churches And Government Buildings (meyounce.wordpress.com)