[Sunday Trust] Failure of Northern elders and leaders to plan for the future of the region is responsible for the ethno-religious crises, an elder statesman and former spokesperson of the Northern Elders Forum, Malam Jibril Tafida has said.
Tafida, in a press statement made available to newsmen in Kaduna yesterday observed that the north’s sense of brotherhood and love for one another has given way to ethno-religious suspicion between the so-called majority and the so called minority tribes.
This he said is the worst ever in the history of the region.
He added that this new threat to the unity of the region is the biggest threat to its development of its economy, culture and investment opportunities.
According to the elder statesman, there is an intolerable level of poverty and unpardonable rise in unemployment which combine to create a unprecedented insecurity challenges in the north.
Tafida stated, “This is closely followed by an economic collapse which can be seen from the way and manner hundreds, if not thousands of industries in the north are allowed to die; worse still after abandoning agriculture and leaning on oil endowed-states of the Southern part of the country.
“Nothing makes this situation disturbing to millions of concerned Northerners than the fact that in this atmosphere of general breakdown , the Northern leaders, political leaders, elders, political appointees, elected representatives and opinion leaders are still confused about how to save the North from further going down the abyss.”
The former spokesperson to the Northern Elders called on all true Northerners to join hands in a new effort of soul-searching, re-strategizing and re-prioritizing to tackle the challenges of poverty, unemployment and general underdevelopment in the North.
- ACF bemoans North’s problems [Vanguard News] (transformationwatch.com)
- Bloodshed imminent in the North, Arewa elders warn (transformationwatch.com)
- “Failures And Shameless Elders”: Junaid Mohammed Blasts IBB, Abdulsalami, As Confusion Hits 2015 PDP Agenda (transformationwatch.com)
- Born to Rule-ism: a History of Ethnocentric Impunity Orchestrated by the British (transformationwatch.com)
- We are not gaining anything from Nigeria – Northern leaders (transformationwatch.com)