The Rivers Monorail is an intracity rail project purposely designed to ease the congestion within the city of Port Harcourt.
The monorail will be using the Intamin P30 Monorail Train, an electric driven train especially designed and most suitable for commuter services in cities.
It is the most recent model of its kind and characterized by modern design, spacious cabins and is equipped with large size door openings for easy access for passengers with luggage.
The visual impact of the train, the track beam (which it rides on) and the supporting columns will be minimal and an appropriate color will be chosen to help integrate the system into the environment.
The Rivers Monorail Beam System
The Monorail Beam is elevated, supported by columns which in turn are supported by a foundation. The foundation will be properly sized to take all loads applied from the column to the foundation.
The foundation and the beam structure shall be designed to a minimum life time of 50 years. The foundation shall be designed and built to withstand the local climate conditions at Port Harcourt including flood, thunderstorm, heavy rain, etc.
Several trains will be in operation on the network between Aggrey Rd. and the loop North/East of the Garrison station.
– UPTH Junction (Aggrey Road)
– Sharks Stadium Park
– Isaac Boro Park
– Garrison Junction
– Nkpogu/ Elekahia Junction (Trans Amadi)
– Mother-Cat Junction (Rainbow)
– Ordinance Junction (NEWS)
– Elekahia Estate (Dust bin)
– Air force Base Junction (Aba Road)
– Rumuola Junction
– GRA Junction
– Water Lines Junction
– 1st or 2nd Artillery Junction
– Rumukwurushi Junction
– Oil Mill Junction
– Eleme Junction
Proposed Major Terminals
– Sharks Stadium Park (Station Road)
– Liberation Stadium (Elekahia)
– Garden Park (Air force Base Junction)
– Maximum achievable transport capacity 1,300 pph/direction
– Average interval of train is approximately 12/24 mins
– Maximum Speed 70km/hr
– Track Length 19.1 km
– Total passengers per train (standard Capacity) 158
– Total passengers per train (peak capacity) 210
– Operating Brakes are electrical regenerative brakes
– Holding breaks are mechanical brakes
– Emergency brake are mechanical brakes (fail safe design)
– Overall Route Track Length – 19.1Km
– Overall No. of Columns – 1473
– Stations – 14
– Train Sets – 5
– Coaches per Train – 6
– Passengers per Train – 210
– Passengers per hr per direction – 1300