[The Guardian] The Joint Task Force (JTF) in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, on Saturday clashed with a gang of Boko Haram gunmen at 12.05pm, while the latter was allegedly attempting to launch attacks on some military posts in Abaganaram ward of the metropolis.
The clash, according to the JTF authorities, occurred near the Maiduguri new prison, from which over 200 inmates were set free by the Islamists sect during the July 2009 jail breaks.
Speaking on Saturday’s clash, the JTF spokesman, Lt. Col Sagir Musa said: “On sighting our men in patrol vehicles, the gunmen attempted to escape, but one of them challenged our troops by firing some gunshots at our vehicles.
In the exchange of gunfire, two of the suspects were killed, while one was arrested by our men.”
He disclosed that the gunmen were preparing to launch attacks on the military posts within the metropolis, before the JTF was alerted by a resident in the area.
The area, he said, has however, been condoned off, to prevent further attacks and killings by the Boko Haram terrorists that continue to live among the communities affected for over two years.
The arms and ammunitions recovered from the suspects, he added, include two Kalashnikov rifles with 12 rounds of ammunitions, and a Nokia handset, probably used in coordinating the attempted attacks on military posts and checkpoints.
Musa further disclosed that the car-wash structure and a shop, suspected to belong to the sect members was also set ablaze by the JTF.
He, therefore, called on the general public to avoid panic, but to go about their legitimate businesses, as the security situation §remained under control.
- JTF Kills 4 in Borno (transformationwatch.com)
- Boko Haram: Security Agents Re-affirm Success against Terrorism (transformationwatch.com)
- Mauritanian, four others arrested over German kidnap – Punch (transformationwatch.com)
- JTF searches houses for Boko Haram members, kills four – The Nation (transformationwatch.com)
- Why Al-Qaeda targets Nigeria -The Western secret services connection -’Al-Qaeda plans to attack Nigeria, 4 others’ -As JTF kills 3 Boko Haram members in Maiduguri – Nigerian Tribune (transformationwatch.com)
- JTF kills 8 in Maiduguri, detonates bombs – Vanguard News (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Troops kill 3 Islamists trying to burn school – Vanguard (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)