Vice President Namadi Sambo on Saturday revealed that the Federal government has earmarked N5 billion for the second phase of the Almajiri school system programme to ensure they are properly educated.
Sambo who stated this at the closing ceremony of the 26th National Quranic Recitation Competition in Katsina, added that, the Federal Government has also signed a $98 billion dollar bilingual agreement with the Islamic Development Bank to develop the Almajiri system and the girl-child education.
He said as part of the administration’s efforts to integrate the over 9 million Almajiris roaming the streets, President Goodluck Jonathan would next week commission the first Tsangaya school in Sokoto.
Similarly, he posited that, N135 billion has been set-aside by government as special intervention on irrigation to create job opportunities for Nigerians towards reducing the poverty level.
On power projects, Vice President Sambo disclosed that, not less than 10 thermal power plants were at advanced stages of completion, stressing that, a 300 mega-watt power generating plant would soon be established in kano.
In his address, Governor Ibrahim Shema who appealed to Muslims to ensure peace and live in harmony with one another also admonished them to make amends where necessary for the development of the country.
Shema described the Quranic recitation competition as an opportunity to increase knowledge and called on Muslims to pray for peace and stability in the nation.
On his part, the Sultan of sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar who was the royal father of the occasion commended the Katsina State government, the organisers of the competition, saying that, “All will reward them for ensuring a hitch free programme”.
Culled from Nigerian Tribune
- FG to Handover 100 Almajiri Schools by June – Thisdaylive (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- FG Approves Establishment Of 400 Almajiri Schools – Leadership Newspapers (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Nigeria’s Abandoned Youth: Are They Potential Recruits for Militants? – Time Magazine (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Wipe your crocodile tears, Arewa and Northern Governors – Vanguard News (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Sokoto’s street begging defies N2.1bn intervention [Daily Trust] (transformationwatch.com)