The Delta State Police Command on Saturday announced the rescue of the wife of the Financial Secretary, Petroleum Tanker Drivers Association, and the arrest of four persons connected with her kidnapping.
The command also recovered the sum of N2.9 million ransom paid to the kidnappers.
According to Ikechukwu Aduba, the Commissioner of Police, the woman was kidnapped last Tuesday in her store at Ekpan in Warri by gunmen who later demanded the sum of N5 million.
Aduba revealed that acting on an intelligence report, officers of the state anti-terrorist squad stormed the kidnappers’ hideout in Benin City and arrested “four notorious armed kidnappers, including a 20 year-old girl”.
“The victim was rescued and items recovered from the suspects included N2.9 million which they collected as ransom,” he said. “We also recovered one black Sienna space bus with registration number EK 483 BEN and an Audi car with registration number AA 261 DGS.”
Speaking on a related incident, Aduba told journalists that the anti-crime patrol team from Sapele also arrested two suspects during a stop-and-search operation and recovered 25 live cartridges.
“On interrogation, the two suspects confessed membership of a robbery gang terrorising the residents of Oghara in Ethiope West Local Government Area and its environs,” he said.
The commissioner, who described Orerokpe in Okpe LGA as a “den of criminals”, appealed to parents to monitor the activities of their children and wards.
- IG disarms, arrests, anti-kidnapping squad for aiding, abetting [Vanguard News] (transformationwatch.com)
- [Daily Trust] Police rescue mother, three children from kidnappers in Effurun (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Abducted wife of Ijaw leader released (vanguardngr.com)
- SSS foils attempt to kidnap two Delta commissioners (vanguardngr.com)
- Warri Snake hoax: Policeman arrested – Vanguard News (transformationwatch.wordpress.com)
- Boy recovered, kidnapper held (nation.com.pk)
- Ogun Police parade 6 suspected kidnappers, 19 others (vanguardngr.com)